4.29.2015

Trying to Lose Weight?

As a fitness instructor I'm surrounded by people trying to lose weight.  I see the same posts the rest of you do on the greatest shakes, pills, diets etc that work and help you lose lots of weight fast.  Let me quickly come out and say that I'm not bad-mouthing ANY of them!  They obviously work for some and help people or there wouldn't be folks using them, buying them, or sharing their success story.

But what works for one person may not always work for another...
Personally, I wish we'd stop labeling our success with a number on the scale or inches we've lost, or size of clothes we want to wear (although weight and inches are an important part of tracking progress).  I see people daily that are in the gym or messaging me obsessing over reaching that next goal.  I watch people constantly take what is healthy and turn it into unhealthy by letting it consume them, by letting it become their #1 priority etc.  I know this reality all too well...because it used to be me!  There were times when I'd work out 3 times a day!  I was obsessed with losing the next percentage of body fat, or running the next longer marathon distance etc. and it was always just "5 more pounds, then I'll be happy"...

But that was the old me...the new me strives to live and encourages others to live a life of "balance". That's my big secret...balance.  I try to make wise choices and eat unprocessed food *most* of the time.  I enjoy the things I enjoy (like donuts, and Taco Johns) *some* of the time and I pay attention to the quantity/portions *ALL* of the time.  I still overdo it occasionally, but I'm quick to make a note and NOT overdo it several meals, or several days in a row.  I try to drink lots of water, but I also enjoy an ice cold Coke occasionally.  I stay active and work out regularly with a well-rounded approach.  6 knee surgeries in...I can no longer focus my efforts on marathons which has freed me up considerably to try new things.  I enjoy a variety of cardio, strength training, and pilates and I've given myself permission to just enjoy them and work hard at all of them.  I no longer have to be the BEST at every one of them. :)  They may not all be my FAVORITE, but they all accomplish the goal which is to be active and get my heart rate up.  

My focus now is on being healthy.  I'm aware of what I put in my body, I'm aware it's 10 lbs bigger than I wish it was, but I know that I take care of myself, that I'm strong, that I'm fit, that I strive to fix healthy well-balanced meals, that I'm prone to emotional eating so I keep myself in check...and that's enough for me.

Now that I at least kind of touched on what you thought I was going to touch on...
Let's talk about what I really wanted to share today. :)  Let's talk about the weight loss that DOES work...for EVERYONE! :)  Here's your real tried and true ticket to quick weight loss.

If you need to lose weight fast, try casting all your cares upon Him.  How 'bout ditching some of your burdens etc. at the foot of the cross!  We need to get real about all the things we try to control and "fix"...we aren't God...yet we continue to try to be Lord of our own lives! For as many people as I see obsessing over weight loss or dying to be thin...I see that many and more struggling daily with baggage, anxiety and worries unnecessarily!  My husband (bless his soul) likes to be extra helpful to me in this area, anytime I start a sentence with "I'm worried that...", or "The one thing I worry about is..." - he will typically interrupt me and say something like "Well, keep worrying, and let me know if it helps.", or "I was going to suggest you pray about it, but it sounds like you're going to tackle it by worrying.", or "Keep worrying, that should do the trick!".  He speaks fluent sarcasm, and it drives me bonkers sometimes, but after I'm done being annoyed...I'm thankful that he offers the reminder I need ALL TOO OFTEN!



I can talk about this for another 5 minutes with my own words, or I could just refer to God's word on this matter!  Let's take a look at what the Bible has to say...
Matthew 6:27:  And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his life?
1 Peter 5:7: Cast all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.
Matthew 11:28: Come to me all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Isaiah 41:10: Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Peter 5:6-7: And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:7: And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Romans 8:28: And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.
James 1:12: Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.
John 14:27: Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you.  Not as the world gives do I give to you.  Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.

There are more verses...believe me, there are more.  I'd encourage you to put some of these verses where you most often need the reminder.  If you clench the steering wheel while your mind races during your daily commute - then put a reminder in your car.  If you stand in front of your bathroom mirror and focus on flaws, things you can't change, and all the challenges you'll face that day - then put a reminder there.  If you need something at your desk at work to keep you from biting your lip and worrying about your kids or your finances throughout the day - then that's where you need one of these verses!

All too often we forget that what's "ours" isn't really ours at all!  Our spouse is a gift meant to teach us more about holiness, our children are God's children first, entrusted to us only for a time, our money isn't ours and if we abide by God's word in how we spend it, He'll be faithful to ensure our every need is met.  If we worried HALF as much about those in our midst who don't know Christ, as we do about our own personal gains, struggles, hiccups,and desires...about temporary things on this side of heaven that don't really matter that much...my how different things would be!

So back to that pesky quest for weight loss...focus on living healthy, strive for balance, and realize that ANY amount of worry is unhealthy.  Whether cutting carbs works for you in weight loss or not...I promise cutting out the worry and leaving THAT at the cross works every time!

~Lenay


*To hear more about my struggle with eating, exercise, weight loss, and dealing with anxiety you can schedule me for an upcoming women's conference/retreat.


No comments:

Post a Comment