2.14.2015

14 Day Love Your Husband Challenge - Day 1

It's Feb. 14 - Valentine's Day! :) :)  I'll admit - it's not a big ta-doo in this household.  Just ask my husband what he thinks of a made up day that has been capitalized on by the shopping industry as a way to encourage money being spent on material things to help them recover from the January slump after the holidays...he'll tell you his thoughts...I promise! *snicker*

Truth be told - gifts are my love language and I don't care what day they come on - I love them!  So I'm not hear to criticize gifts if Valentine's Day IS a big deal to you.  I think my husband's point is...he doesn't have to spend tons of money to prove he loves me, in fact, he doesn't have to spend any money at all, and if he's going to get me gifts he'd rather do it when he wants and not out of some obligation/expectation that our culture pushes on this particular day.  But his biggest pet peeve, is that he'd rather strive to be a man who makes me feel loved every day (and he'd rather other husbands pursue this goal as well) than make some big spectacle on Valentin's Day and then go back to the same 'ole same 'ole every other day of the year.

Anyway, gift talk aside...I'm not encouraging us to think about what our husbands got or didn't get us this Valentine's Day, but I do want to suggest ways we can show them love!  They're basic, nothing earth shattering, but gosh darn it...I get busy and I forget, and sometimes I just need a right up in my grill reminder to get my act together and keep pursuing the wife God calls me to be...one that grows, matures, and gets better at my "wife" job  honor every day!

So make sure you subscribe to this blog, and I'd be honored if you shared it with other wives...and keep up with me the next 14 days as I give you 1 daily challenge/suggestion for a way to intentionally and purposefully love your husband! :)

This weekend - (maybe just tomorrow if you already have V-day plans today) pick something that you KNOW he loves you to do with him...one of "his" hobbies that maybe you usually roll your eyes at, or rarely have time for, or would rather not do if we're being honest, and do it with him.  Don't just do it with me, but be positive/happy about it and commit to enjoying every minute of it...no complaints.  Does he like shooting guns? Bowling? Golfing? Welding in the shop? Woodworking projects? Whatever it is that is usually his escape or that thing you've convinced yourself that he'd rather do alone anyway...make a point to schedule time to do it with him...if not this weekend, then soon, and bring it up and make the plans THIS weekend!

I'll be back tomorrow with another 14-day Love Your Husband challenge, but in the meantime I shall dig out my wood cutting gear and carve out some time to bundle up in some seriously unflattering coveralls, with googles and earplugs, and find out when we can go cut some firewood together.


No comments:

Post a Comment