2.26.2015

14 Day Love Your Husband Challenge - Day12


I chatted with my hubby tonight and got his input on a good challenge for Day 12. ;)
His response was a great one but the tricky part for me is that it doesn't have an easy or obvious action step.  There's not a simple directive I can give you to try.

BUT - just so you know that I practice what I preach and that I truly buy in to what I'm sharing on this blog...remember day #8's challenge to ask for your husband's opinion and then take his advice?  Well here goes!

His input was...SUPPORT your husband.  My husband said, "Know that we're going to fail sometimes and mess up sometimes but we need your support".  I might add that husbands need our support differently than a 3 or 4 yr. old.  We have to be able to support them without babying them or making them feel like a child.

Our husbands are human and they're going to make mistakes.  It's a LOT of responsibility they have: Being a provider, the spiritual leader, a best friend/confidant/companion, a lover who pursues and courts his wife, a dad, and much more.  In our homes and in our marriages we need to offer our husbands a safe place to stumble and know that they still have our support and that we aren't going anywhere.  Our support does NOT mean that they need us to "fix" things for them.

Most of the time this support is as simple as listening to them.  We can be supportive by celebrating our husbands achievements, even the little ones!  We can also be supportive by not being critical, annoyed, irritated etc. when they do make a mistake.  An obvious and CRITICAL way to support our husbands is by praying for them!  Respect and support are VERY similar in that we need to trust our husbands to make the difficult decisions and then stick by them whatever that decision is (even when we don't like it).  Another big one is not to undermine him and go against his instructions and wishes when it comes to the children.  The best way to support our husbands is to remember our role as his "helpmate".

I'd love to hear your thoughts and suggestions on today's challenge to support your husband.  What are some ways you do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment