2.28.2015

14 Day Love Your Husband Challenge - Day 13

Two things that us wives need to be doing for our husbands...

Praying FOR him
Praying WITH him

It seems so simple...obvious really...but do we do it as often as we should?
I don't!  When am I the most mindful of praying for my husband...when it affects me!  When there is something at stake for me, when I'm troubled or burdened, anxious or worrisome and it involves my husband...I'm fairly quick to pray...but at my heart's center, I'm often praying for my own benefit.

I'm not nearly as diligent about praying JUST for him.  We do pray regularly together each night at supper - but it's often brief because we're both hungry and impatient to eat.  It's more of an obligatory prayer, often not the kind of intimate praying that would draw the 2 of us closer together.



If we better understood our husbands and the challenges they face each day, the struggles they're dealing with, the temptations lurking, the discouragement and stress etc., I think more of us would be quicker to lift him up to God.  That's our JOB as his helpmate - as his other half.  We're supposed to fill the gap and intercede on his behalf in prayer.  

Praying together is a powerful bonding experience, one God uses to draw husband and wife to one another.  Bowing before the Lord as one...seeking guidance and help as parents, as lovers, as partners etc. lifting up family, friends, and more should be a regular occurrence.  But don't let praying with your husband be the only way.

Praying FOR your husband is powerful in it's own way and I would challenge you to pray for him out loud!  Something about hearing your own voice presenting your requests to the Lord on your husband's behalf helps seal them in your heart and helps make you more aware.  Another thing I'd recommend is to ASK your husband how you could pray for him.  It might seem silly...to think that you live in the same house with a man who is the father of your children, your best friend etc. but don't know how to pray for him.  Who but you would know better how to pray for him right?  But really, ask him!  You might be surprised to learn of struggles, battles, etc. that's he's dealing with but hasn't shared with you...in an attempt to "protect" you or make sure he doesn't "worry" you.

Praying out loud for your husband and with your husband is essential.  And seeing the movement of God in your marriage and in your husband can grow your faith like nothing else.

Today's challenge is to ask your husband how and what you can be praying for - and then pray out loud, hearing the requests your making to God and committing them to memory so you can share and celebrate together when those prayers are answered! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment